What is a Doula?
“A trained professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to a mother before, during, and shortly after childbirth to help her achieve the healthiest, most satisfying experience possible.”
What Do they Do?
- A postpartum doula can ease the transition that comes with the addition of a baby to a family
- A Birth Doula provides informational, physical, and emotional support during labour and birth
- Doula’s offer education, companionship, and nonjudgmental support during the fourth trimester
- Assist with newborn care, family adjustment, meal preparation and light household tidying
- Offers evidence-based information on infant feeding (breast or bottle), emotional and physical recovery from birth, infant soothing and coping skills for new parents
- Makes appropriate referrals when necessary.
Serenity Doula Care Team
“Long before becoming a mother of three and leaving my career as a behaviour therapist, I have been drawn to connecting and supporting others”.
Sonja’s passion has been babies, mothering, breastfeeding and wellness. As she has completed yoga training and continued to learn and grow, as a postpartum doula, so have her passions. Sonja feels honoured to support families physical and mental health in a variety of capacities. Sonja offers a variety of classes and services ranging from postpartum doula work to infant massage, yoga and parenting classes. She is so fulfilled in supporting individuals and families reach personal goals of growth and self-care. Sonja is a Registered Yoga and Meditation Teacher (500 hour), Core Confidence Specialist trained with Bellies Inc., and has completed her Postpartum Doula certification with C.A.P.P.A. She is a La Leche League Leader and Certified Infant massage instructor through C.I.M.I. Sonja is a mother of three and a former behaviour therapist. She teaches mindful parenting and sign language classes to families. Sonja completing the work of becoming a certified Mother Roaster (warmer ) in the spring of 2017. She has also completed Sacred Fertility Doula training and is certified.
Sarah is a mother of 3, Early Childhood Educator, and business owner. Sarah opened Play Cafe Peterborough in August 2015 to give parents, caregivers, and families a beautiful space to connect, play, and learn. She has a passion for supporting young families and new mothers so becoming a doula was an easy decision. Sarah has trained to be a Doula (Maternal Support Practitioner) through Bebo Mia. She is trained in fertility, birth, and postpartum support. Sarah will finish her certification with Bebo Mia in 2018. She has also trained to be a certified Mother Roaster with Sacred Postpartum. She is looking forward to supporting pregnant and new mothers and families in the Peterborough, Kawarthas, and surrounding areas.